Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Warlock- Movie Review



Warlock(1989) was on one of the pay channels recently and I sat down and watched it with my wife and kids.  I haven't seen it in years and years.  My wife had never seen it.  I remember absolutely loving it as a kid.  It is still good.  Well, if you liked it back in the day, it is still good.  If you hated way back when, then you probably won't like it any better. 

The premise of this overlooked movie is that a witch from the 17th century escapes through time before he can be tried.  A witch hunter, whose wife the witch killed, is able to follow him through the portal into the 20th century.  Upon arrival in the 20th century the witch proceeds to summon Satan and get orders to put together the Grand Grimiore, or, as it may also be known, Satan's spell book.  This would give the witch the name of God that he could then say backwards, uncreating creation. 

The movie is a lot of fun and spawned a couple of sequels.  It is rated R in the 1980s system, but might be more of a heavy PG-13 in current standards, for blood, violence, and profanity.  My wife, who will always raise objections if any are to be had, didn't say a word.  She gets scared easily and screamed several times.  If you don't watch it for any other reason, do so to learn the signs that a witch is in your house. 

Does anyone else remember this one?

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes, I do remember that! Had the chick from Footloose in it.

The Angry Lurker said...

Did this have Richard E Grant in it? I liked the first one....