Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
This book had me with the cover.  I know, I know; don't judge a book by its cover.  Well I do.  Quite a bit, really.  And this cover sold me.  When I looked it up on the library website, I saw that it was available in audio and requested it immediately. 

I wasn't sure what I was expecting with this book.  I think I was expecting it to be really bad.  I am sure I wasn't expectiong what I got though.  This book is quite simply a biography of Abraham Lincoln. It really is.  A majority of the book is non fiction.  Strangely enough, vampires just kind of fell in to the open places in Lincoln's history.  It didn't feel forced.  Grahame-Smith did an excellent job with it.  I actually learned quite a bit from this book, which is strange because it is about fighting vampires. 

The vampires are a little different than the ones we know from other fiction.  Sure they have super strength and speed, but they can also become tolerant of sunlight.  They can poison or convert with their blood.  They aren't all evil, the book takes great pains to point out you should judge each person/vampire on their own merits.  This is fitting because of the prominence of slavery in Lincoln's life. 
Overall it was an entertaining fictionalized biography.  I really enjoyed it and was very surprised by it.  The audio book had an interview with Seth Grahame-Smith that talked about his inspirationt for the book and it was pretty interesting.  This is a gimmick book, but it kind of transcends that label as well. 

Steve's Review
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I loved the concept of this book and all the recent 'classics' being given a new creature twist.

Budd said...

I picture you as a sense and sensibility and seamonsters type person, Cal.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

As you should, Budd. I have seen the trailer for that book at it does have some lovely Victorian girl pulled into the lake by a stinkin' octopus.