Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Movies you can't not watch

Every so often while flipping through channels, I will stop on a movie I have seen so many times before.  The rythemic clicking of the remote pauses and eventually the remote goes down and I watch the movie again.  The wife will always ask why I am watching the movie again.  I guess I should come up with some answers. 


Starship Troopers-  Yes, the acting is horrible, and yes, Denise Richards went off the deep end and even looking back wasn't really that great.  Yes, the action sequences are unbelievable and amazingly cheesy (flip six three hole, come on!).  No, the movie is not like the book, but that might have to do with a generic alien bug movie being proposed to the studio and them saying to add some dialogue and change the name to Starship Troopers.  Despite all of that, it is an amazingly fun movie.  When the in movie commercial about joining up comes on and asks if I would like to learn more, I always think that I would and wish that I could push the button on my TV.  Regardless of everything going against it, the movie works and just feels right.  Would you like to learn more?


300- This is just an awesome guy movie.  The sound track is guitars, it is narrated by a guy with an eyepatch, it has amazing fight scenes and cool monsters.  I don't really think I need to defend myself on this move that much, but one final thing.  Before the movie is over, you will see a god bleed. 


Flash Gordon-  Maybe it is the Queen soundtrack, but this movie is a non stop joy ride.  Nostalgia may play a part in this one as I remember watching it all the time when I was a kid as well.  Flash was awesome, from playing football in Ming's hall to making friends with the hawkmen and flying in on the flying motorcycle, this movie is non stop.  The Chick that plays Ming's daughter is amazing as well.  They don't show this on TV enough.  Plus, Flash is going save everyone of us. 

What are your favorite, can't help but stop and watch movies?

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

300 just rocked!
Starship Troopers wasn't good, but who doesn't like to see the military blow up giant space bugs? Always like Heinlein's stories.
And I admit, I liked Flash Gordan. It's ingrained into my teen years.

The Angry Lurker said...

I have to admit that I agree, good movies in their own right!

Kal said...

A great triple bill. All high concepts that go full retard on the execution.

SteveB said...

Jaws, Jurassic Park, Alien & Aliens

Bob/Sally said...

I can never pass by A Knight's Tale without watching it. Cheesy and anachronistic, yeah, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.