Friday, April 22, 2011

Neal Stephenson- A to Z- Author profile

I was first introduced to Neal Stephenson's work in the science fiction book club that I had put together in Nashville around 2002.  The book was Diamond Age or A Lady's Illustrated Primer.  Needless to say, I was blown away.  It was an amazing story and probably still my favorite of all the works of his that I have read.  Indeed, it is one of my favorite books overall.  I have since read, Interface, Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, and Anathem. 

Anathem is a pretty amazing peice of work.  It is very dense and takes a bit of a science fiction education to fully enjoy.  It took me about 200 pages to really get into it, but then turned into quite a page turner. 

One thing I love about his books is that I learn something.  I don't mean an interesting factoid or peice of trivia.  Stephenson thoroughly researches things like Summarian religion for his novels.  He decides he isn't going to let that go to waste and inserts vast amounts of research into his novel.  If, like the math section in cryptonomicon for me, you would like to skip the research it can be done fairly easily without losing the story. 

It looks like he has another novel coming out this year called Reamde.

1 comment:

Nate Wilson said...

Missed this post during the whole A to Z insanity, but saw Stephenson listed in your recap post and had to comment.

I was first introduced to his work via Snow Crash my freshman year of college, and I was instantly hooked. That, plus Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon (which I mentioned on E day), remain among my favorite books. I veered off during the Baroque Cycle years, but Anathem waits patiently on my bedside table for me to finish my current book. I'm looking forward to it.

Excellent choice for S.