Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Real Steel(2011)- Movie Review

Not unlike most parents, I enjoy seeing my kids get excited.  The excitement wasn’t really there when I fired up XBMC and told them we were going to watch Real Steel.  What I got was, “XBMC random recommends Barbie and the Three Musketeers, lets watch that instead.”  Not to be dissuaded, I scrolled past all the Barbie movies and selected Real Steal. 

I am not sure at what point the movie captured the attention of my girls, but it happened fairly early on.  I think it might have been when Charlie refuses to let the girls take a picture of his robot.  From there the girls were watching, and laughing at the appropriate times, but once Atom enters the movie, they were completely sold. 

I don’t know if you have ever been watching a movie with kids so into it that they are jumping around and screaming while watching it.  Actually cheering for the movie.  If you haven’t, it is a pretty amazing thing.  How can you tell them to settle down when they are obviously having so much fun.  One of them looked at me and said, “I bet you are glad that you didn’t take us to the theater for this movie.” 

I think this will be my entire review.  I could compare it to Rocky or tell you about the acting, but I think the simple enthusiasm that it brought out in my kids is review enough.  Sure it is a movie about robot boxing, but it is a movie about robot boxing that two girls aged 7 and 11 fell in love with.  I liked it too.  I think growing up I would have liked it and reacted in much the same way that they did.  For a minute, while watching this movie I felt like a 10 year old again, and for that alone, this movie gets 4 stars.  Highly recommended.
 

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one. Predictable, but fun.

StuartOhQueue said...

Strangely, it doesn't seem off at all that two young girls would fall for this movie. Don't get me wrong, I liked it and all, but my fiance was head over heels for the robots... she doesn't even like Gundam.

Pat Tillett said...

I'm going to introduce this movie to a couple of my grand kids. Thanks for the tip!

Kal said...

What a great moment with you kids. It's one of the worst parts of my life that I know so many cool things that I can share with no one else.

Nick P said...

I just can't get past that it is basically a super-sized Rock'em Sock'em Robots movie.