Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Children of the Corn (2009)


Full disclosure- This remake of Children of the Corn was done by the people at SyFy.  That being said, I thought it would be a great horror movie for my 10yo that wanted to watch a scary movie.  That is, until the random teenage kid, 5 minute long, sex scene came on 1:45 into the movie.  Yowza. 
The story is actually closer to the Stephen King short story than the original version, but the pace was much slower.  It kind of holds your hand and explains pretty much everything, but that was great for my daughter. 
The acting is where this one falls down.  Dualla from BSG is in it and she totally sucks.  Every line she had, I kept hoping that they would kill her and do it soon (the character, not the actress).  The kids while not horrible, were nowhere near as creepy as the original children. 
Your Pretty, D, but your acting is suspect at best.
The violence in this one seems to be more graphic than what I remember of the original.  Gore does not equal scare though, as it just didn’t creep me out like the original did.  I didn’t feel threatened by these kids, while just looking at the face of the kids in the original, you can’t help but think they are pure evil.
Overall, not a bad movie.  By Syfy standards, it is Oscar worthy.  It wasn’t a good movie.  The random scene with nudity was a bit much and I guess was used to illustrate where babies come from, the original did that with just showing one of the teen girls as pregnant.  I couldn’t help but compare this version to the original, which both is and isn’t fair.  It didn’t have the budget of the original, I am sure, but it is a remake and remakes get compared.  I would opt for the original if you are only going to watch one.  It scared my daughter, so mission accomplished. 

3 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

I'm happy that the SyFy channel exists because it fills a big void (at least for me). BUT, so much of the stuff on it sucks. I'll take the good with the bad, but thanks for the heads up on this one!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So it's one of the best of the worst, huh? Gore doesn't equal scares. Wish more horror films realized that fact.

StuartOhQueue said...

How did I miss this one? "Children of the Corn" via SyFy...

To quote you out of context, Budd: "Yowza."