Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Book of Eli-Spoiler Free Review

Talk about little to no hype on an amazing movie.  Where is the buzz.  This was a great movie.  The only thing that I can think of is that people didn't like the religious nature of the film. 

I didn't know what to expect from this film.  I may have heard a couple of people recommend it, but I wasn't really in that much of hurry to see it.  The premise of a man protecting the last bible on Earth seemed interesting and it had Denzel in it and he is a great actor, but that is all I knew. 

Things I didn't know.  I didn't know that Mila Kunis had grown up and was in this movie and could actually act.  I didn't know that Gary Oldman was in it, and man is he ever the master of disguise.  He never plays the same bady guy twice.  I didn't know the fights were going to be so well choreographed.  Yeah, maybe I just wasn't paying attention.  I didn't know that I was supposed to be. 


World creation is great.  Part of it fells like Mad Max and part of it feels like a western.  The world is believable and the special effects do not go over the top and there is no need for them to.  The color looks washed out, but it supposed too and feels natural given the nature of the world.  It is a pretty movie in a desolate kind of way. 

It was a great movie.  If you have read the road the world is kind of like that, except you don't want the characters to shoot themselves 150 pages in and wonder why they don't for the next 200.  Fans of post apocoliptic science fiction are going to like this one a lot.  This is also a science fiction film that religious people will probably really like.  Denzel fans, his shirt stays on, sorry to disappoint.  It is a great movie though. 

No comments: