Sunday, September 26, 2010

Legend of the Guardians- A 9yr Old's Review

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
Image by CityTalk via Flickr
This weekend I took the family to see Legend of the Guardians in 3D.  My nine year old was really hyped about this movie as she has read the series past the point where the movie ends.  She is really familiar with the characters and she really likes the series.
So, I am going to interview her for the review. 
Q:  What did you think of the movie?
A:  They changed everything.  It was really short. 
Q:  Did the movie stay true to the characters in the book?
A:  True but they left a lot of characters out.  It skipped like 5 books in the series.  The characters just didn’t go to St. Aggies or to Ga’Hoole so quickly. 
Q:  If you had never read the books would the movie be entertaining?
A:  Not really, It didn’t make sense.  It just kind of skipped through the story.  My younger daughter piped in that she really liked it. 
Q:  What did you think of the animation and 3D?
A:  It was nice but not a lot of it came out at you.  It wasn’t quite as good as Avatar (as in the blue people).  They dd a pretty good job of animating the owls. 
Q:  Is this movie for children or adults?
A:  No one. Only for people who have read the books so they can mock it. 
My 6yo wanted to give her opinion: “Some of it popped out to my face. I had a good time.  It was good, My favorite character was Soren.  It was beautiful.”
For my part, I was entertained.  The 3D was pretty good, but didn’t blow me away.  You might be able to get away with 2D on this one.  But, there was awesome shots in there and some pretty breathtaking landscapes too.  My 9yo can’t stop talking about how different the movie was from the books.  I think she understands how I feel about X3 and the wolverine movie now. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

SteveB said...

Only for people who have read the books so they can mock it.

She's not even my daughter and I'm proud of her for that. Awesome. Welcome to the world of book-into-film disappointment!

TS Hendrik said...

Your daughter is wise beyond her years. You should prepare her though for the fact that people hate those of us who read books before seeing a movie.

I've heard little about the film but I'm inclined to go with her on it. well done.