Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Avalon High-Spoiler Free Review

Avalon High was a made for TV, Disney channel production. It is based on the novel of the same name by Meg Cabot (Princess Diaries). The premise of the story is that the characters of Arthurian legend are reborn into a group of high schoolers.


Plot-They had to play around with the characters and plot from the original and the remakes and crafted something pretty original. The target demographics are teens so it isn’t too deep. The story makes some nice twists and turns that I wasn’t really expecting. Overall it was a fun interesting take on a story that shouldn’t be original.

Characters- This is your stereotypical high school with stereotypical archetypes. The characters do grow somewhat, but none of them really ever surprise you with any transformation. The actors for this movie were not big names and most of them not even Disney channel staples, so that may have added to already shallowly written characters coming across even more one dimensional. I have not read the book, so I can’t comment on the source material.

Overall- it was a fun movie and a great way to introduce a younger generation to Arthur and his knights of the round table. It wasn’t great, but for YA it was pretty good. My wife loved it and my oldest daughter really got into it, too. So, it may be more of a girl movie. My review might be tainted by the fact that I had just finished reading Mists of Avalon a couple of weeks before seeing this. Last I checked this was free on Disney On Demand, and I am sure they rerun the heck out of it. I would suggest this to movie for ages 7-16 primarily, adult women will likely enjoy it more than adult men.


5 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

Sounds like Glee does Camelot. Do they have musical numbers?

Just a note on your blog page. When I brought it up it shows too big for the screen. Have you gone to the design template page to try to bring it within the parameters of the page?

I'm now following. Glad your doing Blogging from A to Z.

Lee
Tossing It Out and the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2011

Budd said...

no, no musical number in this one.

Pat Tillett said...

I think you are correct about the demographic, because I'm sure going to pass...

DEZMOND said...

will they make a show out of this? It would be a refreshing addition to Disney Channel!

Budd said...

Pat-yep, you are not the target audience.

Dez-I don't believe so, they wrapped it up pretty well.