Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Avengers Assemble-NCCW


This is going to be a surprise to a lot of people, but I don't really care about the Avengers.  I mean the new movie coming out looks cool but I never really got behind the comics.  I am pretty sure that the plan was to do a marvel version of the JLA and, for the most part, that is what they accomplished.  While both titles have had some great stories, a vast majority of their history has been bogged down with sub par teams filled with cast offs from other series.  I think the Avengers are more guilty of this than the JLA.  Another issue, is that when the team is good, it is filled with a bunch of heroes that have their own titles.  Of course I have not read every Avengers book and some of the second string lineups they had probably were able to produce some pretty good stories.  I am sure with a consistant writer that cares about the team, the book is just as good as any other.  I guess I just don't like rotating cast books.  I enjoy the X-Men and it always makes me mad when a new writer comes on board and shakes up the teams.  I don't know.  Fill me in on what I am missing.  Send me .CBRs of the important stories that will make me a fan.  Tell me why I should care about Luke Cage, Iron Fist, or the Wasp. 

7 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

I'm with you on the Avengers, the only team I liked was the X-men because of Wolverine but the rest of them as they remained over the years drew me in, I like my comics with less powers like Batman, The Punisher etc....

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

The Avengers are a big story with big characters kind of book - the best stories are the ones where they bring those heroes crashing down to earth. I liked the Bendis run when he added Spider-Man to the Avengers - something that in my opinion was long overdue. There are great classics Like the 'Kree/Skrull War' or 'Civil Wars'.

Budd said...

I enjoyed Civil War and the Skrull invasion, but they just felt like huge crossovers with avengers characters in them. Starpower is a big issue I guess. Neither the JLA nor the Avengers can seem to be good without it.

Maybe part of it is that I refuse to get another book just so I can follow the adventures of Spidey or Wolvie.

SteveB said...

I'm so burnt out on super-hero movies, this might not even make the Netflix queue.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't blog angry!
I've read some of the Avengers comics, but I was a JLA fan. (Not that we'll see a JLA movie anytime soon.) I am looking forward to the Avengers movie though.

Pat Tillett said...

I like them all, but have to admit that some were much better. I preferred the ones that seemed the most human (and full of anguish) to the full out super heroes, but I still liked them all.

Nick P said...

I was never a big Avengers fan that I can remember. They always seemed exactly like the Marvel response to the JLA. The way to respond is not an imitation but a totally different approach, like X-men or the Fantastic Four.

I actually like Iron Fist and Power Man, but I liked them as a small fry duo not in the Avengers per se.

As for Wasp, I never could give a crap about any of the shrinking and/or growing superheroes. It's just a lame power. You can try and put spins on it, but its just lame. The irredeemable Ant-Man was good because of the character based writing not the powers.