Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Terra Nova

Terra Nova as I explained to my kids, means new Earth.  Which isn't actually the case here.  It should be Terra Antiquus, as our heroes are traveling back in time to escape an Earth they destroyed.  I got some basic problems with the story, but I will get back to them at the end.

The two hour premier did a pretty good job of introducing the characters.  The initial scene set up the world and got the viewer emotionally invested.  We understand what kind of family this is and what they will do for each other.  Special effects are at a tv level.  They did an overall good job on the dinosaurs, but apparently they didn't get the news that dinosaurs have feathers.

Overall it was pretty good show with enough story revealed that I will be tuning back in.  I think they showed too much of their hand at the very end, though.  I was completely willing to go along with not knowing about that for a couple of episodes.  Or maybe just a partial explanation, but they revealed the whole thing.

My problems would be with basic things in the story.  A wife that works in public hospitals has the ability to collect a rucksack full of money.  A future high security prison that someone is able to sneak/bribe her way into and pass off a laser that allows escape.  A rucksack full of money lying pretty much in the open.  Being able to bribe your way onto a launch window.  Those are just a couple of the things.

The show wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good.  I was willing to overlook or ignore most of the little problems though and that is a pretty good sign.  Apparently, only attractive people get to travel to Terra Nova so that is a plus.  It is worth a watch though.  Glad I gave it a shot.


11 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

Thanks for the honest review, I didn't know whether I wanted to watch this or not.

MRanthrope said...

but if they go back in time won't that alter the future in strange and scary ways they can't even comprehend? Like the Homega Man episode of The Simpsons.

Budd said...

Mranthrope-I had the same question and it is addressed by them sending a probe back through the portal first. When they search for it on current earth they don't find it, hence seperate time streams. It is faulty logic to say the least and I am sure it will come up in future episodes how the original probe is destroyed. Or maybe they will keep this alternate time line methodology as it eliminates paradoxes.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I watched the firts thirty minutes and then taped the rest. (Although the football game wasn't all that exciting either.) I know a couple others have raved about the special effects, but what I saw of the dinosaurs didn't impress me. (Everyone in my office said the same thing.) Better than the SyFy Channel movies though! I'll keep watching.

Copyboy said...

Yeah the story will be my ultimate tune out with the series.

Jennifer Hillier said...

I'm not sure if this is my kind of show, but wouldn't be surprised if husband gets into it. Good review, Budd!

DEZMOND said...

it already premiered? I totally forgot about it!

SteveB said...

I thought they spilled a lot during the premiere, but I think they were very consciously screaming "WE'RE NOT GOING TO BE LIKE LOST!"

I'd give it a B. Good effects (for tv), I sort of like the family. Fairly stiff writing.

M Pax said...

I really liked it, but I have a thing for giant reptiles. There were a few flaws, but, like you said, I can ignore them.

DWei said...

It looks interesting. My buddy is torrenting what he can at the moment and I'll ask him what he thinks of it later.

Pat Tillett said...

I'll at least continue to watch it for a while because there isn't much else out there. However, I almost turned the channel last week aleady...
nice review Budd...