Monday, July 29, 2013

The Wolverine- Spoiler free movie review

Hugh Jackman brought the Wolverine to the screen this weekend with his 5th film playing the character. I guess you could say 6th if you count his cameo in First Class. This take was much better than the last outing, X-Men origins: Wolverine. I know, how could it get worse? The good news is that the trailer is right; this is the Wolverine movie that fans have been waiting for. It isn't as light as Avengers and it isn't as dark as Dark Knight. It falls somewhere in the middle where I think it should. I can say that it was a more entertaining film than Man of Steel. Acting: Jackman was able to make the character seem somewhat fresh. After all these outings, that is fairly remarkable. The Japanese cast were very good as well. I thought the portrayal of viper was a bit over the top, but everything about that character was over the top. It was a contrast to the more human wolverine and not a different mutant every scene. The story borrows heavily from The Ronin storyline from the 80s, this is not a bad thing. It isn't 100% faithful, no where near, but you can tell they were trying and it was closer than anything else the Fox/X-Men franchise has put out. They even had the iconic image from the comics of Logan filled with arrows. The smaller scale fits the Wolverine character as a man that heals well and has claws can't really be expected to save the universe by his lonesome. Thankfully, this one isn't a cameo filled extravaganza where you have to try and figure out how Emma Frost is Silver Fox's little sister that somehow is deaged from the first class movie. It did manage to surprise me in a few spots. The movie was a lot of fun and you should stay for the stinger.

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Unfortunately I didn't like this one very much.

Pat Tillett said...

One of our daughters and her husband see just about every movie that comes out. They also buy the DVD later if they liked the movie even a little bit. They said they liked this one a little bit, so I'm going to wait until after they buy it.
Thanks for the review Budd!

Budd said...

I guess I should have qualified how much of a wolverine fan I am. probably tints my opinion.

The Angry Lurker said...

Two conflicting reviews....what to do?

Kal said...

I liked it a lot. It had the tone of a Samurai movie - a mutant Samurai movie and they pulled it off. Not too over the top with some spectacular fight scenes.