Ellie and iZombie have put together a blogfest with my site almost entirely in mind.
So what goes into making a quote a top quote. In my mind, it has to be memorable and usable. They don't have to be from a good movie. To use the what is good in life quote from Conan (fantasy, so not technically in the running as it may have made it) as an example. It is fairly short, it is easily memorized, and it has the advantage of being call and response. That call and response thing is huge. Well, on to the list, you can let me know how my quotes stack up in the comments.
10. Jaws- "We're gonna need a bigger boat." Anytime in life you bite off more than you can chew, use this line and give yourself a chuckle. Added advantage is that you can replace boat with anything else. Have another kid: "We're gonna need a bigger car." Still works, especially if the other person is a jaws fan.
9. Aliens- "Game over man, game over!" You have to do this one with the Bill Paxton voice. Try imagining you have three wives and they are trying to kick you out of the state house, or that you are on a planet full of xenomorphs.
8. E.T.- "E.T. phone home." E.T. really doesn't age well. The movie is almost unwatchable to me now. I loved it as a kid, but don't really enjoy it anymore, at all. But this line will continue on. Probably more relevant before people had cell phones and therefor you had to ask to use someones phone to call your own.
6. Friday the 13th- "Ch, ch, ch, ch, Ah, ah, ah, ah"- Okay, so this isn't an actual line from the movies, it is a sound effect. But it is a very effective quote none the less. Everyone knows where it comes from and they know you are trying to give the situation a creepy feel. Trying? Heck, with this one you are succeeding.
5. Batman- "Where does he get such wonderful toys?" This one may start a barrage of Batman quotes that go through all of the movies and maybe even some "bang" and "pow" from the TV show.
4. Mars Attacks- "We come in peace." When said in certain company, this will unleash a series of "Nyack, Nyack, Nyacks." It may even cause some yodeling or fond memories of a teenage Natalie Portman.
3. Star Wars- "Luke, I am your father." Whenever you are trying to convince someone to do something just throw this at them. Go ahead and do your best James Earl Jones as well. For use in everything, ie borrowing money. "Luke I am your father. let me borrow $5 and we will rule the universe together as father and son." The whole original trilogy is highly quotable, but this is the one that takes the cake.
2. Ghostbusters- "Are you a god? No. Then Die!" Great call and response here. Can be used when anyone disagrees with you over something. "Lets eat at Taco Bell." "You know they don't use real beef." "Are you a god?" Ghostbusters is pretty quotable and I really like "Don't cross the streams," but it is only applicable in troft style urinals.
1. Idiocracy- "It's got electrolytes..." Idiocracy may be the most quotable movie ever. Just check out fark.com if you don't believe. I will wait while you do. " I can wait all day. I can wait for a week." The whole movie is a quote just waiting to happen. If you haven't seen this movie, grab your closest friends and watch it. the electrolyte line is very versatile. it can be call and response with one person saying something has electrolytes and everyone else telling you that it is what plants crave. You can change out electrolytes and plants. "It's got alcohol, what frat boys crave!" It will also start up an idocracy quote off.